Stages of Financing
The Fund will provide five types of grants, depending on the level of maturity of the innovation. More information regarding grant types and relevant criteria can be found in the Call for Proposals.
Prepare grants | up to €50,000
Prepare grants can be used to support the development of promising proposals for applicants who otherwise may have had less access to or ability to secure funding. These grants support the development of proposals for Stage 1, 2 or 3 grants.
- Identify which Stage award applicants intend to apply for after the Prepare grant concludes and demonstrate the applicant’s potential to submit a strong future application for Stage 1, 2, or 3 funding
- Make a compelling case for how the Prepare grant will be used to support the development of a proposal that is likely to meet the criteria necessary for a subsequent Stage 1, 2, or 3 grant
- Prepare grants can be used to support the development of proposals for Stages 1, 2, or 3 grants
- FID will prioritize Prepare grants proposal from applicants from the countries that are priorities for French aid
Stage 1 : Pilot | up to €200,000
Stage 1 grants support innovations that are early in development and are ready to be piloted in the real world to refine the basic model and establish the viability of the innovation at small scale.
- Evidence of Impact: A strong theory of change that justifies how and why the innovation is likely to generate a positive development impact
- Cost-effectiveness: A clear articulation of why the innovation has the potential to be cost-effective at scale, relative to alternative solutions
- Scale and Sustainability: A justifiable explanation that the innovation has the potential to sustainably reach a large number of people if delivered at scale
Stage 2 : Test and Position to Scale | up to €1,500,000
Stage 2 grants support the further testing and continued growth of innovations to assess whether they can achieve both impact and viability at a larger scale.
- Evidence of Impact: Demonstrate that there is rigorous evidence of the innovation’s causal impact on a development outcome or provide a plan to conduct a rigorous impact evaluation during the grant period
- Cost-Effectiveness: Include plans to analyze the cost- effectiveness of the innovation during the grant period or show that such an analysis already exists
- Scale and Sustainability: Make a compelling case that the innovation has the potential to sustainably reach and benefit large numbers of people when delivered at scale
Stage 3 : Transition to Scale | up to €4,000,000
Stage 3 grants support the transition of rigorously tested and validated solutions to widespread scale.
- Evidence of Impact: Demonstrate that rigorous evidence of the innovation’s causal impact on an outcome of interest is already established. Such evidence must include a credible counterfactual of what would have happened in the absence of the innovation
- Cost-Effectiveness: Present a compelling case based on the underlying evidence that the innovation will be cost-effective at scale relative to alternative solutions
- Scale and Sustainability: Clearly demonstrate that the innovation is on track to sustainably reach and benefit very large numbers of people, and that the applicant and its partners will reach at least hundreds of thousands of people
Transforming Public Policy | up to €150,000
Transforming Public Policy (TPP) grants are intended to be highly catalytic.
There are two types of TPP projects :
- Institutionalizing specific, mature evidence-based innovations with demonstrated cost-effectiveness and scalability into public policies at large scale
- Strengthening the capacity of low- and middle-income governments to design, test, pilot, and/or scale evidence-based innovations
For TPP “Type 1” projects, applicants should have satisfied the conditions of a Stage 3 grant – or be in the progress of satisfying them – before applying.
For TPP “Type 2” projects:
- Evidence of Impact: Present a trong theory of change that justifies how and why the innovation is likely to generate a positive development impact
- Cost-Effectiveness: Make a compelling case that the activities under a proposed grant will lead to the implementation of policy innovations that will be cost-effective at scale
- Scale and Sustainability: Demonstrate the potential for long- term sustainability of the activities proposed, including the potential to continue delivering services beyond the proposed award period
Only projects with a specific and committed government partner(s) will be eligible for a TPP Grant.